Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Should you buy Flood Insurance? - Wilson Insurance Services, Inc.

Should you buy Flood Insurance?

Flash flooding can occur anywhere, regardless of whether your property is located within a defined “Flood Zone” area.  A standard homeowner’s or business owner’s policy does not cover flood damage. You must purchase a separate policy to have coverage for damage caused by “rising surface waters”.  Pipes bursting, leaking, or other water damage from internal water sources are generally considered to be covered causes of loss and are not considered “floods”.

It’s a good idea to contact our agency to start the application process early – most flood insurance policies have a mandatory 30-day waiting period before they take effect.
Policy Options:
To help you protect your residence or commercial building, we have partnered with Hartford Insurance Co. to offer flood insurance.* The Hartford, one of the top flood carriers in the country, consistently receives an excellent rating for financial strength from leading authority A.M. Best Company. This rating is important because it reflects the insurer’s ability to meet its ongoing insurance obligations.
Flood insurance for your home or business is also available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The program was created to help provide a means for property owners to financially protect themselves.
All types of homes including condos are eligible for flood insurance. You can even purchase flood insurance to protect your possessions if you rent your home.
But while most homeowners insurance is set up to get your home and belongings back to their pre-loss states, flood insurance is designed to simply get you back on your feet — it’s not as comprehensive as most homeowners policies.
Premium costs for residential properties vary depending on coverage, which is available for your building, contents or both. For instance, flood insurance usually covers washers and dryers, food freezers and the food inside. Water tanks, oil tanks, furnaces, stairways, unpainted drywall, sheet rock walls and ceilings are generally covered as well.
More Information:
For more on flood prevention and the NFIP, visit FEMA online at or call the NFIP at 1-800-Call-Flood (800-225-5356).  The FEMA Web site features information about insurance coverage and flood safety.
If you don’t have coverage, or if you’re not sure if you have enough, contact our agency. We can help determine the flood risk level for your home and property and advise you on the appropriate level of insurance protection.
*See individual policies for specific details.
Please note: This material is general in nature and for informational purposes only. Coverages, exclusions, limitations, policy terms and conditions and eligibility for discounts may vary from state to state and are subject to the underwriting guidelines, rates and rules in effect at the time of purchase. Please refer to the policy itself for definitions, coverages, exclusions and other terms and conditions.